After spending a large chunk of the [rainy, cold and drizzly] afternoon watching “America’s Most Smartest Model” and then reading the recaps on TWoP (good gravy-fed God, I’m a dork!) I felt the need to purge some of my other guilty pleasures into the keyboard and onto the screen, in hopes that I’m not the only one who feels utterly compelled yet dirty after watching/listening to/reading/doing the following things:
- Riskay’s “Smell Yo Dick” — This song is seriously disgusting and unabashedly ghetto. So why can’t I stop listening to it? Because it’s hilarious, that’s why. Listen for yourself.
- Love Actually, two parts of it in particular which I’ve been known to rewatch several times in a row:
- The entire scene where Jamie tracks down Aurelia in Marseilles, first by going to her father’s house and then walking to her restaurant with the entirety of Little Portugal trailing along behind him discussing how Aurelia is going to be sold into slavery or killed by this Englishman. And then the proposal in the restaurant, with Jamie’s adorably horrible Portugese: “I’ve come here with a view to asking you to marriage me…”
- The Mark and Juliet scene where he shows up at her doorstep with the flashcards and carol singers on his CD player, telling her that he’ll love her until she looks like a decrepit mummy. Who wouldn’t fall in love with this? Mark is far cuter than Peter, anyway. Hee!
- The Darkness’ “I Believe In A Thing Called Love,” even though its brief moment was over about three years ago.
- The new BTVS Season 8 graphic novels. Ohhhhh, yes. Yessirree. I AM that huge of a dork, there is absolutely no doubt about it. Richard was too embarassed to accompany me to the “graphic novels” section of Barnes & Noble when I went to get the first volume. He just hung around the “sports” section, eyeing me warily and shifting his weight nervously, hoping that no one would see his wife greedily grabbing a book out of the D&D section of the store. I don’t care; they’re the best continuation of a beloved-yet-cancelled show since Serenity. If you happen to be a Buffy fan and have somehow missed the memo on the graphic novels, you should check them out. They’re everything a Whedon-phile could have hoped for.
- And on that note, Moonlight. This is probably the most embarassing guilty pleasure of all. I have not one single friend who watches this and my entire family is very vocally ashamed of my inexcusable lack of taste when it comes to this show. But I can’t help it. It’s just the right amount of camp — not too over-the-top, tongue firmly planted in cheek. Plus, it’s got a good bit of eye candy and, really, what else do I have to do on a Friday night? Sadly, nothing.
- Good blue cheese, by itself. Well, maybe on a piece of endive for some crunch. But definitely not with any crass interlopers, like crackers. I just like the bare taste of an incredibly strong, salty, sharp Roquefort or Stilton. Again, none of my other friends or family members seem to share this predilection, which often means that I get an entire wedge of blue cheese to myself. And believe you me, I WILL EAT THE WHOLE DAMN THING.
- TaB cola. I once wrote an entire blog on how much I still love the 80s sensation that was TaB. I’m sure you can find it if you poke around on here long enough… TaB is like Diet Coke without the awful aftertaste of NutraSweet. When I go into the store to buy TaB, there is usually one sad, little pink box among the masses of other Coca-Cola products, sitting dusty and alone towards the back of the shelf. But it’s been waiting for me…maybe for months, who knows?…and I’m finally here for it. The various clerks always give me the same look at the checkout stand: So that’s the weirdo who buys the one six-pack of TaB that we ship in every month. Yes, that’s me.
- And lastly — for now, at least — all of the following websites:
What are your guilty pleasures?